Root Canal Treatment in American Canyon
Here at Canyon West Dental, we use bite-wing x-rays or 3-D CDCT scans to determine if you need a root canal treatment. There are many reasons why you may need an RCT, many of which are related to the inflammation or infection of the tooth pulp.
What Is a Root Canal Treatment or RCT ?
A root canal treatment is a specialized procedure that is performed on the inside of the tooth. The pulp of the tooth consisting of soft tissue and nerves, is protected by a hard exterior. In case of extreme decay, the infection can eat through the outer layer of the tooth and reach the pulp. If left untreated, the condition can get extremely painful and the infection can spread to the gums and bone surrounding the teeth.
Since this infection cannot be treated by antibiotics, the infected tissue needs to be removed physically. This is exactly what the root canal therapy procedure does.
Your dentist carefully drills through the hard outer layer until the pulp of the tooth is reached. The infected tissue and nerves are carefully removed. The area is then filled and sealed. Finally, the opening made in the outer layer of the tooth is filled and sealed to protect it from further infections.
One might think that removing the nerves in the tooth would make it dead or fall out, but that is not the case. After the tooth has come out through the gums, the nerves don’t do much except detecting the presence or absence of heat. The absence of a nerve does not affect its day-to-day functions of a tooth.
Structure of Tooth
Symptoms that suggest that RCT may be necessary
- Severe toothache
- Severe reaction to hot or cold that brings on extreme pain
- Swelling in the gum around the tooth
- Pain or tenderness on biting
- A tooth injury that has caused pulp damage
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned above, give us a call and book an appointment with us. We can determine if you need a root canal treatment or if there is another issue to be addressed.
Infected Tooth Requiring Root Canal Treatment
Misconceptions About Root Canal Treatment
- A common myth is that a root canal treatment is painful. This is not true. We at Canyon West Dental are experts at pain management. We have the skills and instruments to be able to give you a comfortable and quick treatment.
- It is also a common belief that root canals can cause sickness. This is not true either.
- Another notion is that it’s better to remove the tooth rather than get a root canal. We believe that saving your natural tooth is always the better option.